Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links- should you make a purchase AKP might earn a commission. Keep in mind these companies and their products are shared only because of their quality. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is up to you.
[This post was originally written in 2019, in a pre-Covid world. I do believe creating a pitch kit still holds value.
Should you find yourself with downtime on your hands, begin designing a pitch kit of your own]
Okay, small business owner and creative - it is time to get out from behind your computer, venture into the world, and put yourself out there.
Scary right? Trust me, I used to be scared of my own shadow when it came to pitching. Once I invested in professionally printed marketing pieces I no longer had to "sell" and the presentation sold itself.
What is a Pitch Kit and what is in it?
What is in my "PITCH KIT"?
Various samples of my work:
- Overall Studio Magazine (updated 1-2x a year)
- Magazine specific to high school seniors (updated 1x a year)
- Personal branding magazine (updated 1x a year)
-Accordion Card Mini-Portfolio (updated as soon as a reorder is needed)
-Blank gift cards
-Album design sample
The beauty of this kit is that it doubles as an adult trapper keeper with a zip pouch to hold additional printed materials, notepaper, and pen loop, and a slot for a legal size notepad. When attending events, I have everything I need without fumbling through a camera bag, purse, or tote.
**A failed to follow my own advice moment**
After a shoot for an interior decorator, we stopped by a cafe where I know the GM. Not planning to pitch AKP, I overheard two gentlemen at a table nearby discussing a new menu and were debating gluten-free items.
Being a GF eater - I offered my two cents - before leaving I went over again to wish them well and pitched myself. Sadly, I left my pitch kit in the car since it was pouring outside. Instead of letting the opportunity pass by, I did ask for their card and followed up the next day with an email.
Allow this to serve as a reminder to have samples of your work with you. Of course, having a digital portfolio is convenient, but how many times have you gotten home wishing you could recall the name of a person or place?
It is one thing to tell someone what you do or create- it is another when you can actually show what you do!
As soon as I returned home, I gathered all of the marketing materials I had and updated my kit, camera bags, purse, and car.
RESOURCES & TIPS
- Folded Press Printed Business Cards without coating - easy to write on - ordered from my professional photo lab
- Personal Branding Magazine* - two sizes - 8.5x11 and 5.5x 8.5 approx. 12 pages - I prefer the smaller size
- High School Senior Magazine* - 8.5x11 approx. 20 pages
- Studio Magazine* - 8.5x11 - approx. 24 pages
- Investment Guide* - 8.5x5.5 - approx. 12 pages
- Press Printed 4x6 Post Cards - ordered from my professional photo lab
- Gift Cards - ordered from my professional photo lab
- 8x8 Magazine* used as an album design sample.
- Trifold Portfolio - found via Amazon no longer available [similar style]
*Printing via Magcloud
** If you would like to create pieces like this for your business -please reach out, I would be happy to collaborate with you.
- Do not buy large quantities of marketing materials. As soon as you submit the order your portfolio will be outdated.
- It is better to order in shorter runs/lower quantities.
Eco-friendly/Environmental Debate: Isn't printing wasteful and harmful to the environment?
Yes, of course, yet there is a debate that digitally isn't much better with the cost to make, store, run servers. Again, there is no right or wrong answer or approach. I personally feel, that a small batch of beautiful curated brochures, magazines, and marketing materials won't end up in the trash bin like much of the items we receive in our mailbox daily. Create and design pieces that potential clients will want to hold onto and eventually be featured in themselves.